EconoScan CCD Barcode Scanner
1. How do I connect the scanner to the host computer?
Refer to the GETTING STARTED section on Page 6 of the EconoScan User's Manual
2. How can I verify that the scanner works?
For a keyboard wedge interface (IDT4431-4) or USB/keyboard emulation interface (IDT4431-4U) scanner:
- Get into any simple text editor. Notepad is recommended in the Windows environment. (Locate it through Start/all programs/Accessories/Notepad)
- Scan a valid sample bar code (the EAN13+5 barcode on the bottom of Page 14 of the manual can be used as a sample test barcode). The scanner should beep once and the correct 13 digits output data should be displayed on Notepad screen (see the notes below).
For a RS-232 serial interface scanner (IDT4421-4):
- Get into HyperTerminal in the Windows environment. (Locate it through Start/all programs/accessories/communications/HyperTerminal)
- Set up Hyper Terminal to communicate at 9600, none, 8, 1, Xon/Xoff through the COM port where the scanner is connected (Refer to General FAQ section for detail on how to setup HyperTerminal for testing)
- Scan a valid sample bar code. The scanner should beep once and the correct barcode data should be displayed in the Hyper Terminal Screen
- Do not use the configuration bar codes in the manual as test bar codes. If you can't find a sample bar code with which to test the scanner, the EAN-13 +5 bar code located at the bottom of page 14 of the manual can be used as a test bar code.
- If the scanner does not beep, check the bar code label and verify that the bar code is a valid one.
- If the scanner beeps, but no data is shown in the text editor (Notepad) or HyperTerminal, check the scanner's interface setting. (Refer to Group 1 on page 9 of the manual for details.)
- If the scanner is verified as working, but it will not work with your application software, check the software requirement for the bar code scanner output data format. Re-configure the scanner accordingly.
3. My scanner is labeled as IDT4439U. How do I know what interface it is?
Since the EconoScan CCD scanner supports multiple interfaces, the scanner itself is labeled as IDT4439U. You can tell the interface type by looking at the cable that came with it. (Refer to pages 6 and 7, the Getting Started section in the manual, for a picture.)
If the scanner has a 'Y' shaped cable, which has PS/2 male connector on one end a PS/2 female connector on the other end, it is a keyboard wedge interface unit (IDT4431-4). If the scanner has a 'Y' shaped cable on which one end is the DB9 female connector and on the other end is a circular power plug, it is an RS-232 serial interface unit (IDT4421-4). If the scanner is a single-ended cable with a flat USB connector on it, it is an USB/Keyboard emulation unit (IDT4431-4U).
4. My Keyboard Wedge (or USB/Keyboard) scanner beeps once when scanning a bar code, but no data shows up in Notepad. What should I do?
Scan the DEFAULT bar code on the cover of the manual, then scan the KEYBOARD & USB bar code on page 9 of the manual under GROUP 1 INTERFACE SELECTION. Verify the scanner's output again in Notepad.
5. How do I program the scanner to read the 12-digit UPC-A bar code and only output the ten digits in the middle without the leading and trailing characters?
In GROUP 28 (on page 43 of the manual), scan the READ DIGIT NO SEND and CHECK DIGIT NO SEND bar codes.
6. How do I program the scanner to read the 13-digit bar code on the back of a book and output the ISBN number?
In GROUP 31 (on page 46 of the manual), scan the ISBN ON bar code.
7. How do I program the scanner to add a leading '0' to the output of a 12-digit UPC-A bar code?
In GROUP 27 (on page 42 of the manual), scan the ENABLE bar code to the right of UPC-A EXPAND TO E EAN-13.
8. When I scan a 12-digit UPC-A bar code, I get an extra ??in front of the 12-digit output. What do I do to get rid of it?
In GROUP 27 (on page 42 of the manual), scan the DISABLE bar code to the right of UPC-A EXPAND TO E EAN-13.
9. How do I make the cursor stop at the end of the bar code data (with no ENTER needed)?
In GROUP 11 (on page 19 of the manual), scan the NONE bar code under TERMINATOR section.
10. How do I make the scanner do a TAB instead of ENTER after a scan?
In GROUP 11 (on page 19 of the manual), scan the TAB bar code under TERMINATOR section.
11. Why does the scanner read my 8-digit Code 128 bar code, but won't read a 4-digit Code 128 bar code?
The scanner's default minimum length for a Code 128 bar code is 5 characters. In order to read a 4-digit bar code, you need to re-program the scanner so that the minimum length is equal or less than 4. Follow the instructions in GROUP 24 (on pages 37 & 38 of the manual).
12. How do I get rid of the first and last characters of a Codabar bar code?
In GROUP 21 (on page 33 of the manual), scan the Not Sent START/STOP bar code under START/STOP section.
13. I have a keyboard wedge interface scanner (IDT4431-4), but I use it with a Laptop PC, which does not have an external keyboard. It scans once, and then will not scan anymore. What should I do?
Disconnect and reconnect the scanner to the laptop. In GROUP 1 (on page 9 of the manual), scan the NOTEBOOK bar code under the COMPUTER TYPE section.
- This also applies to a desktop PC without a regular PS/2 keyboard connected (e.g. USB keyboard or no keyboard).
- A USB/Keyboard emulation reader is recommended for this kind of situation if the host is running Windows 2000/XP. You can simply replace the keyboard wedge cable with the USB interface cable (part number CAB601-1 for beige color or CAB601-8 for black color)
14. How do I program the scanner so that it outputs the data with a preamble and a postamble?
Follow the example Setting Procedure in Group 4 on page 12 of the manual.
15. I have an USB/Keyboard EconoScan CCD scanner. Where do I find the driver?
The USB/Keyboard emulation reader uses the HID keyboard driver provided by the Windows Operating System. On a PC with Windows 2000 or XP, the driver will be installed automatically the first time the reader is connected to the USB port. The Windows 98 CD is required to locate and install the HID keyboard driver on a PC running Windows 98.
16. Which is the correct manual to download from the ID TECH website for the EconoScan CCD scanner?
It is the link User Manual under EconoScan CCD Scanner.
17. Why does the scanner not read the Code 39 bar code that I generated myself?
When generating a Code 39 bar code, you need to add a * character at the beginning and end of the data that you are encoding.
18. How do I make the Scanner output the barcode data then makes the cursor moves down instead of do a Enter?
In GROUP 11 (on page 19 of the manual), scan the NONE bar code under TERMINATOR section. Then in Group 4 (on page 12 of the manual), scan the 'Postamble' bar code, in Group 42 (on Page 58) scan the 'Down' barcode, go back to page 12, scan the 'Postamble' barcode again.
19. Is there a cable for the scanner so that it can be connected to a USB port?
Yes; the cable's part number is CAB601-8 for black color scanner and CAB601-1 for beige color scanner.
20. How to make the scanner reads the bar code automatically without having to press the trigger button?
In Group 2, scan the "Continuous Mode" on top of page 10 of the User Manual to get it configured to keep the scan light on and ready to scan the bar code present to it.
21. How to reset the scanner to the factory default so it will output the original barcode data?
You can reset the scanner by scanning the 2 barcodes on Page 9 of this Manual as indicated below. And then test read a barcode in any text exitor (e.g. Notepad) to verify the output.